Dear Laurel Families,
Happy Spring! It’s hard to believe that we made it through the rainy season and are finally enjoying warm weather. It’s also hard to believe that we have about 3 months left of our school year. Time flies, doesn’t it.
Please see below for some important information from our District:
· New English Language Arts and English Language Development curriculum will be recommended to the School Board. The program that is being recommended is called Benchmark Advance ELA/ELD and materials will be on display for public review through April 20, 2017 in the Instructional Materials Center at the SM-FC District Office. The IMC is open Monday through Thursday from 12:30 until 4:30pm.
Upcoming Board Meetings: Elementary ELA/ELD Adoption
March 23rd - Information Presentation
April 20th – Approval Meeting
Please see below for some important information from Laurel:
· Please welcome Palmira Licea-our new Community Worker and Don Washington-our new Crossing Guard and lunch time Supervision Aide (Th/F only) to the Laurel Community. Palmira will be working as our Community Outreach Liaison in the school office M-F, 7:30-8:30am and 3:00-4:00pm. Don is a familiar face to Laurel and we happily welcome him back.
· SAFETY-Our School’s Safety Committee has been “on the look-out” for safety concerns. We know that drop off and pick up around school gets very busy and people are in a hurry. Please remember that STUDENT SAFETY should be our #1 priority. Please slow down, do not make u-turns in the middle of busy streets around the school and do not park in red zones. Let’s model safe behavior for our students. As you may have noticed, our Maintenance Department has been busy painting areas to make it safer for all to walk around our school.
· Project Cornerstone and Lifeskill Focus-This month our Project Cornerstone focus is on a book called Renee Has Two Last Names which is about different cultures, friendship, sensitivity and empathy. Our Lifeskill focus is PRIDE. Ask your child to talk to you about this special book and what makes your family feel proud.
· Please be mindful of our neighbors. The school has received notice that our families are parking so that our neighbors cannot get out of their driveways. We have also heard that our students are walking in people’s yards, leaving trash behind and breaking limbs of trees. Let’s show our students how to be model citizens and great community members.
· Laurel is now composting! Thanks to our PTA, Student Council and the support of several parents, students are composting and thinking about how to sort their items (trash/leftover food) during snack and lunch times. Together, we can make a difference for our world.
· Upcoming Events:
Ø Fall Plan form for the 2017-18 school year is due no later than March 31, 2017.
Ø Report Cards will go home on March 31.
Ø Spring Break-April 3-April 7. School resumes on April 10.
Ø English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC) meeting at College Park on April 18
Ø Kaffeklatsch (open forum with Ms. Fukumoto) in the MPR on Friday, April 21 at 8:00 am.
Ø District Wide Disaster Drill on Friday, April 21
Ms. Lori Fukumoto, Principal
Enter content here